UP CLOSE & PERSONAL WITH CHEF ROMAINE
Executive Chef Romaine Newell and his team come up with delicious and healthy menus on a regular basis believing in farm to table while using the freshest seasonal ingredients.
1. HOW MANY EMPLOYEES REPORT TO YOU? HOW MANY OF THOSE ARE MANAGERS?
I have approximately 40-45 employees who report to me, two of them are considered managers.
2. WHO DO YOU REPORT TO?
I report directly to the hotels executive management team.
3. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE FOOD TO EAT?
I personally love to eat Sushi, Japanese and Italian.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE CUISINE TO COOK? WHY?
I love cooking Italian cuisine, I find its rich in flavour and the possibilities are endless with such a great variety of different ingredients to work with.
5. WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO BECOME A CHEF?
Cooking just came naturally to me since an early age.
6. WHAT DO YOU DO TO STAY EDUCATED ABOUT NEW TRENDS?
I find networking and collaborating with food reps, the farmers directly and other professional chefs provides opportunity to share new ideas and learn new trends.
7. WHAT DO YOU DO TO INSURE THE QUALITY OF THE FOOD GOING OUT TO CUSTOMERS?
Ensure our in house processes and policies are met daily. I also tend to hire like minded individuals who will maintain the same standards I expect.
8. HOW DO YOU INSURE/TEST THE QUALITY OF YOUR INGREDIENTS?
Taste it! We also perform daily freshness tests across the board and ensure all incoming products are taken from the best providers.
9. TELL ME ABOUT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT THAT YOU ARE MOST PROUD OF IN YOUR CAREER.
I was featured on a live TV cooking show and my family was able to watch me on television.
10. TELL ME ABOUT YOUR MANAGEMENT STYLE.
I am relatable, organised, consistent, versatile and adaptable. All mandatory skills required to be a successful executive chef and manager of such a large team.
11. TELL ME 3 THINGS THAT YOU CONSIDER TO BE YOUR STRENGTHS.
Adaptability and willingness to learn. I am well travelled and cultured which supports creativity when developing new menus, seasonal offerings and custom dishes.
12. TELL ME SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO LEARN OR IMPROVE UPON.
Patience! I will be working on improving my patience for the rest of my life (laugh).
13. HOW INVOLVED ARE YOU IN THE FINANCIAL ASPECT OF YOUR BUSINESS? BUDGETS/FORECASTING?
100% – This would be considered some of my ‘core’ responsibilities.
14. HOW INVOLVED ARE YOU WITH THE MENU DEVELOPMENT AND OVERALL DESIGN? WHO DO YOU FEEL SHOULD BE INVOLVED IN THE DECISION?
100% – I believe in farm to table and using the freshest seasonal ingredients to create a unique dinning experience for our guests at Sparkling Hill.
15. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A CHEF AND WHERE ARE YOU ORIGINALLY FROM?
I have been cooking for over 12 years, I have been in management for 4 years and I am originally from Toronto.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON PROGRESSIVE DISCIPLINE?
I believe in never embarrassing or humiliating an employee especially in front of their coworkers. I try to be stern but supportive and attentive to my staff at all times.
Celebrating fine cuisine as an integral component of whole body health and wellness, Sparkling Hill dining is a dazzling occasion designed to perfectly complement your overall experience. From luxurious indulgences to health-focused cuisine, our menus offer a wealth of options for every taste.
Monday, August 08 2016
Posted by: Sparkling Hill Resort
Categories:Farm to Table
- Crystal Gem of the Month
- Do it naturally
- Farm to Table
- Fitness & Exercise
- Health & Wellness
- Insights from Kurspa
- Mindfulness with Dr. Strauss
- My Health Story