CRYSTAL GEM OF THE MONTH: DOUGLAS
For our July 2015 issue we chose to feature Douglas – Lead Night Audit. We sat down with him on a cool evening here atop Sparkling Hill and found out more about what drives his passion for service excellence.
1. How long have you been with us at Sparkling Hill?
A little over 5 years now!
2. What do you like most about working for a Health and Wellness Resort?
Our remote location, the people that want to come here are the ones that come! They have a purpose when they arrive – focusing on their health.
3. What is your role and what does a typical day in your role look like?
Lead Night Audit. Really your night is my day. I balance transactions, prepare all of the documents for the next day arrivals as well as do hotel security. I check on the safety of the other employees working during the night, we are all in sort of remote areas so we keep an eye on each other. I normally try to see each one 2-3 per night to ensure everything is okay.
4. What is your favourite part of your job/what do you find most satisfying?
That’s a tough question, I really like the whole aspect of it, I like the accounting part because I like numbers. I also like that I have the freedom to move around and am trusted to take care of the hotel throughout the night.
5. What is something special that you have done to “wow” a guest/ make a guest’s day?
I try to help our guests out with any issues they have, for example if there is something like maintenance required during the night, I will fix it to the best of my ability or at least get the guest to a happy state until the morning when it can be fixed.
6. Tell us about your background. Where are you originally from?
Born in Edmonton, raised in Prince George and moved to Vernon during the 10th grade! In the early 1990’s I was part of the Canadian Armed Forces but when I was released in 95’ I came back to Vernon and the hospitality industry!
7. What are you passionate about? What motivates you?
I like to make everyone happy, I am happy if they are happy, it puts a smile on my face to see other people smile.
8. What do you enjoy doing most during your freetime? What are you favourite hobbies?
I like to watch TV, I am really into sci-fi fantasy, and I enjoy spending time with my family, my boys and wife.
9. What do you think is the best thing about living in the Okanagan?
That we have 4 distinct seasons!
10. What is your favourite food?
Not seafood! I love prime rib au-jus sandwiches, I search for them!
11. Where in the world have you travelled to? What took you there?
I went to New Zealand for a family reunion, I like it a lot, it reminded me of Canada, the farmland and terrain, it was the North Island. I also travelled a lot with the military, I went to Yellowknife and really like it there, the culture was so different!
12. Which destination would you most like to visit and why?
UK, Scotland and Ireland mainly to learn about my old family history. My mom’s family immigrated from the UK and so did my dad’s before they went to New Zealand.
13. What is your favorite book?
I love books but I don’t like reading them, I really like the fantasy science fiction genre. My favorite adaptation is Games of Thrones, but currently I love Orphan Black.
14. If you could have any superpower what would it be?
Tele kinetics. I want to fly too!
15. Who has been your hero? Someone that you look up to in life?
My father really. I try to raise my family how he raised me minus a few changes that just don’t work nowadays but I always keep him in mind.
16. How do you incorporate Health and Wellness into your life?
*laughs* trying to keep up with my kids! They are high energy and high maintenance. If I have down time from work, I like to just rest and recuperate. I always try to address things calmly and keep a clear head.
Tuesday, July 07 2015
Posted by: Sparkling Hill Resort
Categories:Crystal Gem of the Month
- Crystal Gem of the Month
- Do it naturally
- Farm to Table
- Fitness & Exercise
- Health & Wellness
- Insights from Kurspa
- Mindfulness with Dr. Strauss
- My Health Story