CRYSTAL GEM OF THE MONTH: LAURIE
For our September 2015 issue we chose to feature Laurie – PeakFine Dining Room Server. We sat down with her on a lovely sunny afternoon here atop Sparkling Hill and found out more about what drives her passion for service excellence.
1. How long have you been with us at Sparkling Hill?
I have been with Sparkling Hill since the very beginning – April 2010, over 5 years.
2. What do you like most about working for a Health and Wellness Resort?
I really love that it is one of a kind; unlike any other place and also that we often have repeat guests that ask for me by name.
3. What is your role and what does a typical day in your role look like?
I start my work days by getting all the information about food, wine, and specials, and also I ensure that I know of any special guest requests. Ultimately, I try to be the best that I can be for guests, going above and beyond.
4. What is your favourite part of your job/what do you find most satisfying?
I find it most satisfying when guests shake my hand and say “thank you” for making their evening special – especially those to write me thank you notes on their bills as well. Also, to see the growth of the resort from the beginning to present day is exciting!
5. What is something special that you have done to “wow” a guest/ make a guest’s day?
I bought a couple of our return guests birthday gifts during their recent stay which left them very surprised and delighted. And, I usually send anniversary plates to guests’ rooms if they had not received them at dinner.
6. Tell us about your background. Where are you originally from?
I am originally from Winnipeg. I have been in the hospitality industry for about 40 years, more specifically in the Okanagan region for about 12 years. Prior to that, I spent my earlier years on Vancouver Island in Port Hardy where I was able to get my start and grow my career in this industry.
7. What are you passionate about? What motivates you?
I am passionate about being fit and healthy and I find my relationship to be my main motivator.
8. What do you enjoy doing most during your freetime? What are you favourite hobbies?
I really love cooking, working out, skiing, shopping and spending time with my partner and his family.
9. What do you think is the best thing about living in the Okanagan?
The best thing would definitely be that it is a four-season destination – we are fortunate to have two lakes and a ski hill nearby.
10. What is your favourite food?
Steak and Lobster with home-made Béarnaise sauce.
11. Where in the world have you travelled to? What took you there?
I have travelled to Mexico, Jamaica and San Francisco for vacation.
12. Which destination would you most like to visit and why?
I would most like to visit Europe for the food and wine variety and also to visit past co-workers who I would love to see again.
13. What is your favourite book?
14. If you could have any superpower what would it be?
I would like to be a genie and I would love longer arms.
15. Who has been your hero? Someone that you look up to in life?
My former boss at my job in Port Hardy.
16. How do you incorporate Health and Wellness into your life?
I like to be active – I am outdoors a lot and also frequent the gym. I also ensure that I eat well, sleep well and sometimes I do yoga.
Wednesday, September 09 2015
Posted by: Sparkling Hill Resort
Categories:Crystal Gem of the Month
- Crystal Gem of the Month
- Do it naturally
- Farm to Table
- Fitness & Exercise
- Health & Wellness
- Insights from Kurspa
- Mindfulness with Dr. Strauss
- My Health Story