CRYSTAL GEM OF THE MONTH: RAYLENE
For our August 2015 issue we chose to feature Raylene – Kurpsa Receptionist/ Guest Liaison. We sat down with her on a lovely sunny afternoon here atop Sparkling Hill and found out more about what drives her passion for service excellence.
1. How long have you been with us at Sparkling Hill?
I have been with Sparkling Hill for the past three years.
2. What do you like most about working for a Health and Wellness Resort?
I am passionate about holistic wellness. I most enjoy seeing the transformation in our weeklong guests, in particular, those who always leave feeling relaxed and rejuvenated.
3. What is your role and what does a typical day in your role look like?
KurSpa Receptionist/ Guest Liaison – administrative duties at the KurSpa relating to guest bookings and inquires. Moreover, having the opportunity to provide individual attention to guests and attend to their special requests.
4. What is your favourite part of your job/what do you find most satisfying?
My favourite part of my job is providing personalized attention to guests – being able to have that one-on-one interaction and build a connection – ensuring that they are well taken care of.
5. What is something special that you have done to “wow” a guest/ make a guest’s day?
One that stands out in my mind was attending to a guest who was in-house all the way from Boston. She was lovely, but at first a bit apprehensive. I was able to sit down with her and recommended the Whole Body Wellness program to her based on what she had expressed to me. Throughout her weeklong stay, I attended to her every need and was able to see her gradually become more relaxed, her mood drastically improved and so to her outlook on life. She was absolutely ecstatic and thankful for being able to just escape her everyday and unwind. She even gave me a huge hug and was all smiles by the time of check-out!
6. Tell us about your background. Where are you originally from?
I am originally from Calgary, Alberta. I am currently pursuing by Bachelor of Arts in Psychology at the University of British Columbia here in the Okanagan (UBCO). I worked in Guest Services for around two years prior to joining Sparkling Hill.
7. What are you passionate about? What motivates you?
My supportive family – wanting to make them proud drives me, this together with me truly wanting to pursue my dreams and build my career.
8. What do you enjoy doing most during your freetime? What are you favourite hobbies?
I love cooking, hiking, swimming, playing soccer and spending time with family.
9. What do you think is the best thing about living in the Okanagan?
Most certainly would be the four distinct seasons we experience here – especially the hot summers.
10. What is your favourite food?
11. Where in the world have you travelled to? What took you there?
I have backpacked through Europe for a couple months – Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria and England.
12. Which destination would you most like to visit and why?
The Galapagos Islands – because of the nature, wildlife and untouched beauty.
13. What is your favorite book?
The Kite Runner – I find the story really humbling.
14. If you could have any superpower what would it be?
The freedom to fly!
15. Who has been your hero? Someone that you look up to in life?
My mom and dad are my heroes. I aspire to live my life in the way that they live theirs’ – not letting anything get in their way. In my everyday life I really do live by the words, “where there is a will there is a way”.
16. How do you incorporate Health and Wellness into your life?
I workout and exercise regularly, I am more particular about consuming and using natural products. Moreover, I have come to realize the importance of taking time to relax and unwind.
Saturday, August 08 2015
Posted by: Sparkling Hill Resort
Categories:Crystal Gem of the Month
- Crystal Gem of the Month
- Do it naturally
- Farm to Table
- Fitness & Exercise
- Health & Wellness
- Insights from Kurspa
- Mindfulness with Dr. Strauss
- My Health Story