As we move into the cooler seasons of fall and winter, we are slowly slipping into a hibernation mode. At this time of year, it is important to make sure we stay active, however if you are having trouble staying motivated, here are some home remedies to increase metabolism.
A study conducted in 1999 at the University of Geneva in Switzerland found that green tea raises metabolic rates and speeds up fat oxidation. This is due to the presence of powerful flavonoids and antioxidants found in green tea. Additionally, green tea works as a stimulant to increase metabolism.
- Add 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves to a cup of hot water.
- Cover and allow it to steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain and add a little honey.
- Drink 2 to 4 cups of green tea daily, best taken before 6pm
This herb has a compound known as capsaicin that has a positive impact on thermo genesis, the process by which cells convert energy into heat. According to a 2008 study done at Aarhus University in Denmark, capsaicin consumption increases thermo genesis, which in turn boosts body temperature and metabolism.
- Add cayenne pepper or cayenne powder to soups, salads or any of your favourite foods.
- You can also take 1 cayenne capsule twice daily with food, or make a drink of 8 oz hot water mixed with ¼ tsp cayenne, 1 tsp honey, and the juice of half a lemon
Apple Cider Vinegar
This is a good remedy to boost your metabolism rate, allowing you to burn calories more efficiently. It helps alkalize the body, thus preventing you from becoming too acidic.
- Mix 1 to 2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.
- Drink it each morning and before meals.
- Follow this routine daily.
Note: You can gradually increase the amount of apple cider vinegar to up to 2 tablespoons per day, per glass of water.
Drinking a glass of warm lemon water will alkalize your body and boost your metabolism.
Lemon water will also keep you hydrated and help fight hunger cravings. Plus, adding black pepper to your lemon water will boost your metabolism and assist in losing weight.
- Add the juice of ½ lemon to a glass of warm water.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of honey and ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder.
- Drink it in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Drink this daily to ignite your metabolism.
This vegetable is often thought of as both an herb and a spice. It too has thermo genic qualities, meaning when consumed it can slightly increase body temperature. This helps increase your metabolic rate. Plus, ginger helps increase the feeling of satisfaction so that you eat less and burn calories faster.
- Add 1 teaspoon of freshly chopped ginger root to 1 cup of boiling water.
- Cover and allow it to steep for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Strain and add honey.
- Sip a cup of this tea slowly 2 or 3 times daily.
You can even chew a small piece of fresh ginger root or take ginger capsules after consulting your doctor.