1. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WITH US AT SPARKLING HILL?
I have been here since April this year – 7 months.
2. WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT WORKING FOR A HEALTH AND WELLNESS RESORT?
I enjoy working with the fresh food, it is something I love and I have always cooked and eaten healthy when I was growing up.
3. WHAT IS YOUR ROLE AND WHAT DOES A TYPICAL DAY IN YOUR ROLE LOOK LIKE?
I am a prep cook at Sparkling Hill. I assist each station in the kitchen with their prep working in the afternoon. I also set-up the line, and prep vegetables for the next day. I assist prep with many food types a favourite is ravioli.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE PART OF YOUR JOB/WHAT DO YOU FIND MOST SATISFYING?
I enjoy doing all of the small detailed things like ravioli. I have never worked in a kitchen before like this, and so I like all of the new things I am learning – it’s fun!
LIFE IN GENERAL
1. TELL US ABOUT YOUR BACKGROUND. WHERE ARE YOU ORIGINALLY FROM?
I am originally from Germany, and I have a background in Social Work. I moved to Canada at the beginning of April 2016 with a friend who really wanted to travel around Canada, and so I joined him. When I arrived in Canada I thought about what I’d like to do for work, and I thought about working in a kitchen because I enjoy cooking.
2. WHAT ARE YOU PASSIONATE ABOUT? WHAT MOTIVATES YOU?
I love travelling and new experiences. I enjoy meeting new people and understanding different cultures.
3. WHAT DO YOU ENJOY DOING MOST DURING YOUR FREE TIME? WHAT ARE YOU FAVOURITE HOBBIES?
In Germany I enjoyed reading and spending time with friends and family. In Canada I make the most of my free time by travelling to different places whilst I am here. In the summer I took an extended vacation period, and visited Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Yukon and Alaska.
4. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE BEST THING ABOUT LIVING IN THE OKANAGAN?
It’s beautiful here! The lakes, space, the warm summers, and the nice views wherever you are. It’s a really nice place to be.
5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE FOOD?
Pasta! All kinds of pasta.
6. WHERE IN THE WORLD HAVE TRAVELLED TO? WHAT TOOK YOU THERE?
I travelled and stayed in Greece for 2 years, and I have been to Italy, France, Croatia and Hungry. Also the USA and now Canada too. I really like travelling and the new experiences with different cultures and food.
7. WHICH DESTINATION WOULD YOU MOST LIKE TO VISIT AND WHY?
Hawaii, because I am a summer person. I love the hot weather and the ocean.
8. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE BOOK?
This is a hard question – I would read a lot!
9. IF YOU COULD HAVE ANY SUPERPOWER WHAT WOULD IT BE?
To make everyone smile. I like to make people smile and help them feel better in their day. In my last job I worked in a home for homeless teenagers, and so to make people smile especially there would be a great super power!
10. WHO HAS BEEN YOUR HERO? SOMEONE THAT YOU LOOK UP TO IN LIFE?
My Dad! He is a great dad. He has always understood me and supported me. He is the most relaxed person I know about anything.
11. HOW DO YOU INCORPORATE HEALTH AND WELLNESS INTO YOUR LIFE?
In Germany I did a lot of sports, but it is difficult to do this here with my work schedule. But I do have a good work, life balance and eat healthy. I really like cooking and cook for myself from scratch.